Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4, 2010-the return to work!

So, today was my first day back to work since starting this adventure. The struggles began with breakfast. We were out of eggs, so that was out and I was out of time to sit down. I ended up choosing a protein bar, but it was not really what I wanted. It was caramel nut flavored and WAY too sweet for breakfast, but that is what I get for not planning better. I did manage to pack my lunch, but I have to admit, it was not very tempting by the time lunch came around and I had an hour available. BUT, I persevered and ate what I packed. Part of trimming the fat around here includes not spending frivolously and eating out for lunch fell into that category today.

So, here is the food for the day:

Breakfast: Protein Bar, big glass of water and hot tea

Lunch: Sandwich made of 2 slices of whole wheat bread, turkey, 1 wedge laughing cow cheese and mustard. Banana. Bottle of water.

Snack: Fiber + Bar and Diet Coke

Dinner: Home made chicken and veggie soup, wheat thins and water.

I did also eat carrots while I was making the soup. This was a really conscious choice as I was staring at the crunchy crackers that I really wanted. BUT, knowing I had to write it down kept me focused.

After dinner and getting the boys to bed, I knew that I had paperwork to do, but I also decided that I had to take time for me in order to make this work. So, I took 30 minutes and lifted weights with a video. I am so glad I did this for myself.

OK, so the big news of the day. I took pictures of myself today for the "before" shot. UGH! I am pretty disgusted with myself, but they will serve as a good reminder of WHY I am doing what I am doing. I also got a picture of myself in the shirt that made me realize that you can't tuck fat in. I plan on doing pics once a month on this journey and am excited to see the changes.

Overall, a good day. I did get a little carried away with the Wheat Thins with my soup and literally had to walk away from the kitchen to stop eating them. Even posted on Facebook my angst over those silly crackers, but man, are they good! I am working hard to figure out my triggers and correct them. Baby steps everyday.

Hope that you all had a good day. Let me know what you do to help avoid trigger foods in your house. Not having them is not an option for me as I have little kids that need to have snack foods in the house, but also know innately when to stop. How come toddlers have that figured out and as adults, we just keep on eating? Well, at least those of us that can't tuck the fat in...

Bring on 2010-the year of trimming the fat because I have determined YOU CAN'T TUCK THE FAT IN! Have a great night.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren, I get that you have to have the snack foods around. I do too. I refuse to eat out of the box - I eat way too many unconsciously that way. Instead I will get a small bowl and portion out one serving size (according to the box) and that's all I'll eat. My big enemy is a dried fruit and nut mix from Costco that is fantastic...unfortunately, we all know how bad nuts are for calories! And thus, I'm here on this journey with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Lauren!! I have yet to take pics -- need to though because I think it'll be inspirational. I HATE packing my lunch. Somehow it is never as appetizing as what I can get from the deli, etc. Often I'd have my packed lunch as my morning and afternoon snack, and end up eating out anyway. (I'm no longer in that situation, but still tend the same way. I'd rather pick up a sandwich than make one at home. And not because i'm lazy, but because it's never as appealing at home.) Keep up the good work and sharing the learnings!

    ReplyDelete